In Part 2 of my “Summer Citrus Recipes” series, I will be sharing a recipe for a fast, easy and fresh summer salad!
Succulent pieces of chicken breast, fragrant toasted almonds, chewy quinoa, fresh salad leaves and citrus segments that burst in your mouth. All these elements create a refreshing salad that can be a perfect side to some proteins, or a light and healthy meal on its own.
I created this recipe on a particularly hot day in Singapore when I wanted to get my daily dose of fruit and veg in a semi-savory way.
This colorful salad hits all the right notes for me because I get to cool down from the summer heat, load up on essential vitamins, nutrients and fibre, AND enjoy great flavors for lunch; all at once!
Citrus Salad with Chicken and Quinoa
Packed with bright summer flavors! Pan roasted chicken breast, juicy orange and grapefruit segments, chewy quinoa, aromatic toasted almonds and cherry tomatoes.
- 200 grams chicken breast skinless and boneless
- 1/2 cup quinoa washed and drained
- 125 grams mixed salad greens washed and drained
- 2 springs spring onions washed and sliced
- 10 cherry tomatoes washed and halved
- 1 large grapefruit peeled and segmented, juice squeezed and reserved from remaining core
- 2 medium-large naval oranges peeled and segmented, juice squeezed and reserved from remaining core
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds toasted
- salt and pepper season to taste
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp citrus juice reserved from the citrus fruit
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
Preheat a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
Toast almonds in a dry pan till lightly browned, and transfer to plate to cool.
Using 1 tbsp of the olive oil, place in skillet and preheat over medium heat.
Season chicken breasts and pan fry over medium heat, turning occasionally till cooked through. Approximately 12-14 minutes. Remove from pan to rest.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients with remaining olive oil until well combined. Taste to check seasoning, and add more honey, or salt and pepper as desired.
Slice chicken breast into 1 inch thick slices.
In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, tomatoes and quinoa. Tossing lightly. Add dressing and continue tossing until well combined. Add in citrus segments, chicken and almonds.
Serve and enjoy!
- To speed up and encourage even cooking, you may place the chicken in a ziploc bag, bashing it firmly until it is an even shape. A 1 inch thickness throughout will reduce the cooking time to about 8-10 minutes!
- This recipe is a great way to use pre-cooked quinoa, leftover salad and chicken! (See my Roasted Chicken Recipe for how to make your own roasted chicken!)
- If making this salad in advance for an office-lunch, separate the dressing and add only before eating.
I had so much of this, I packed it into a take out container! Perfect for bringing to work.
Tomorrow, we will be looking at a heart-healthy Baked Salmon with Lemon Dressing. I hope you are looking forward to it!