The best way to use leftover bananas; The best banana bread recipe; The best healthy… Well you get the idea.
This banana bread is moist, banana-ey, fragrant and delicious! If I told you it was healthy in the oil-free, reduced sugar and made-with (some)-whole-wheat-flour way would you believe me (or care)?
Well it is. Good for you and tasty. So eat more of it, or eat it with butter. And let there never be any overripe bananas thrown away again.
The Best Kind of Healthy Banana Bread
Banana Bread or Banana Cake? Whatever you want to call it, there's no denying that this oil free version is healthy, delicious and moist. Have seconds!
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour I used extra fine
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 large over-ripe bananas mashed
- 2 large eggs 60g each min weight
- 1/2 cup greek yoghurt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
Preheat oven at 350F/180C
Mix all the dry ingredients with a whisk in a large bowl.
Mix all the wet ingredients in another large bowl.
Combine the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
Pour the mixture into a lined or greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Lightly spread top evenly.
Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, risen, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Approximately 50-60 minutes.
Once done, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting, otherwise the bread will fall apart!
- This recipe can use 2 or 3 large bananas. More bananas = more banana flavor.
- If using frozen bananas, allow bananas to defrost fully before use. Bananas will liquefy, reserve liquid and bake as per instructions.
- Delicious add-ons - nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, berries.
Enjoy this recipe? Let me know in the comments section below!