When we think of stir-fries, we think of something quick, easy and delicious. This is all of that plus a whole bag of fibre, and more!
Just imagine – tender beef, mushrooms, crunchy vegetables, and a wonderful umami oyster sauce with sauteed garlic on a bed of hot rice; greeting you after a long day. Truly an Asian style one-dish meal at its best!
Best of all, it only takes 20 minutes to make, and freezes up pretty good too! I made a batch of this, placed it in a container on rice and froze it once cool. Easy lunch/dinner for those busy work nights.
So what are you waiting for? Check out the recipe and get cooking!
Beef, Broccoli and Mushrooms on Rice
Stir fried beef, broccoli and mushrooms in a savory sauce on hot rice. Yum!
- 2 cups uncooked rice jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
Stir Fry Ingredients
- 1 large carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 sprigs spring onions sliced
- 1 small head broccoli cut into florets
- 3 pieces king oyster mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium onion peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 200 g stir fry beef sliced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil neutral cooking oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp chinese cooking wine
Wash the raw rice 3 times in clean water, rubbing the grains gently each time. By the 3rd time, water should be relatively clear.
Drain water, place washed rice and 3 cups of water in microwave rice cooker. Cook for 20 minutes on high heat (800w).
Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside for later.
Heat a wok pan to medium high heat with cooking oil. Slide carrots into wok from the side to prevent splattering. Cooking, stirring occasionally until carrots start to look slightly pale. 2-3 minutes.
Add mushrooms and continue frying until mushrooms partially soften. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add onions and garlic, and continue to fry over medium heat until fragrant. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
Add beef and continue stir frying, ensuring that the beef slices are separated. Once beef starts to partially take on color (2-3 minutes), add in the sauce. Stir to mix well for a further 1-2 minutes. Mixture should smell very fragrant.
Add in broccoli florets and water, mixing till well combined. It may look too wet now, but the sauce will thicken up after further cooking. Cover the wok, set heat to medium and allow to cook until broccoli turns bright green. Approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
By now, rice should be done. Remove rice from microwave and stir to fluff up grains.
Serve rice in a large bowl, with Beef, Broccoli and Mushrooms on top.
- Flank or Tri-tip work well for choice of beef here.
- If more salt is desired, add soy sauce at the end to taste.
- Make sure to stir the sauce before adding it to the stir fry. Otherwise the corn starch will not get mixed in properly.
- If the sauce thickens up too quickly, add 1/2 cup of water.
Like this recipe? Please share with your friends/loved ones, comment, and subscribe on the sidebar for more!